TD Ameritrade Review
TD Ameritrade's thinkorswim platform offers over 70 tradeable currency pairs alongside a plethora of impressive tools, research, and education. For traders in the U.S., TD Ameritrade provides the ultimate trading technology experience.
Tradeable Symbols (Total):
Can I open an account with this broker?
Use our country selector tool to view available brokers in your country.
August 2023: After its purchase by Schwab, TD Ameritrade accounts are transferring to Charles Schwab in batches. Schwab clients will get the thinkorswim platform.
TD Ameritrade pros & cons
- TD Ameritrade is publicly traded (NYSE: SCHW) and regulated in four tier-1 jurisdictions.
- TD Ameritrade is trusted by over 11 million clients, with over $1 trillion in assets.
- Part of Charles Schwab Corporation since October 2020, with a combined 28 million clients and $6 trillion in assets.
- The availability of currency ETFs, exchange-traded forex futures, and options on forex futures elevate TD Ameritrade's already-impressive forex offering.
- In-house research from TD Ameritrade's Ticker Tape hub and TD Ameritrade Network.
- Third-party market news integration from sources like CNBC, Dow Jones, Thomson Reuters, Morningstar, and FXWirePro.
- Learning Center boasts over 400 pieces of content — both written and audio-visual — many of which are forex-related.
- Robust multimedia offering, including a well-maintained YouTube channel, and a catalogue of archived webinars with quality content such as its Trader Talks Webcasts
- TD Ameritrade won our 2024 Annual Awards for #1 YouTube Channel and #1 Charting Technology and finished Best in Class for multiple categories, including Platform & Tools, Mobile Trading Apps, Professional Trading, and Trust Score.
- As a U.S.-only forex broker, TD Ameritrade does not offer copy trading or MetaTrader (MT4).
- Live video broadcasting is more focused on equities markets and futures than forex.
- With average spreads close to 1.2 pips on the EUR/USD, pricing is slightly above the industry average.
- Only available for U.S. clients (see our complete review of TD Ameritrade for U.S. traders on our sister site, StockBrokers.com).
|Offering of Investments
|Commissions & Fees
|Platform & Tools
Is TD Ameritrade safe?
TD Ameritrade is considered Highly Trusted, with an overall Trust Score of 99 out of 99. TD Ameritrade is publicly traded, does operate a bank, and is authorised by five Tier-1 regulators (Highly Trusted), zero Tier-2 regulators (Trusted), zero Tier-3 regulators (Average Risk), and zero Tier-4 regulators (High Risk). TD Ameritrade is authorised by the following Tier-1 regulators: Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC), Securities Futures Commission (SFC), Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS), Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC). Learn more about Trust Score.
|Publicly Traded (Listed)
ForexBrokers.com 2024 Annual Awards
For the ForexBrokers.com 2024 Annual Awards, brokers were evaluated against ForexBrokers.com’s 8 Primary Categories: Commissions & Fees, Offering of Investments, Platforms & Tools, Mobile Trading Apps, Research, Education, Trust Score, and Overall.
Best in Class honors were awarded to the Top 7 forex brokers in each of the following areas: Beginners, Social Copy Trading, Ease of Use, MetaTrader, Algo Trading, Crypto Trading, and Professional Trading.
ForexBrokers.com also recognized brokers that demonstrated excellence and innovation with our exclusive Industry Awards.
|Platforms & Tools
|Mobile Trading Apps
|Best in Class
|Best in Class Streak
|#1 Charting Technology
|#1 YouTube Channel
2024 Review Methodology
At ForexBrokers.com, our reviews of online forex brokers and their products and services are based on our collected data as well as the observations and qualified opinions of our expert researchers. Each year we publish tens of thousands of words of research and detailed forex guides, and we monitor dozens of international regulator agencies (read more about how we calculate Trust Score here).
Our research team conducts thorough testing on a wide range of features, products, services, and tools (collecting and validating thousands of data points in the process). We test all available trading platforms for each broker – whether they are proprietary or come from third-party providers – and evaluate them based on a host of data-driven variables.
We also take an in-depth look at each broker’s commissions and fees, such as bid/ask spreads – including the average spread data for some of the most popular forex currency pairs. We research other trading costs, such as inactivity or custody fees, minimum deposit requirements, VIP rebates and/or discounts, and a range of other important fee-based data points.
Some of the other important research categories that are factored into our testing include mobile trading accessibility and capability, availability of market research and educational content, and each broker’s overall Trust Score.
All content on ForexBrokers.com is handwritten by a writer, fact-checked by a member of our research team, and edited and published by an editor. Generative AI tools are not a part of our content creation or product testing processes. Our ratings, rankings, and opinions are entirely our own, and the result of our extensive research and decades of collective experience covering the forex industry. Read our Generative AI policy to learn more.
Read our full explanation and accounting of our research and testing process to learn more about how we test.
Forex Risk Disclaimer
There is a very high degree of risk involved in trading securities. With respect to margin-based foreign exchange trading, off-exchange derivatives, and cryptocurrencies, there is considerable exposure to risk, including but not limited to, leverage, creditworthiness, limited regulatory protection and market volatility that may substantially affect the price, or liquidity of a currency or related instrument. It should not be assumed that the methods, techniques, or indicators presented in these products will be profitable, or that they will not result in losses. Read more on forex trading risks.
Popular Forex Guides
- Best Forex Brokers
- Best Forex Brokers for Beginners
- Best Forex Brokers for Copy Trading
- Best MetaTrader Brokers
- Best Forex Brokers for TradingView
- Best Forex Trading Apps
- Best Zero Spread Forex Brokers
- Compare the Best Forex Brokers
More Forex Guides
Popular Forex Broker Reviews
Compare TD Ameritrade
See how TD Ameritrade stacks up against other brokers.
Compare TD Ameritrade Competitors
Select one or more of these brokers to compare against TD Ameritrade.Show all