The ForexBrokers.com annual forex broker review (three years running) is the most cited in the industry. With over 60,000 words of research across the site, we spend hundreds of hours testing forex brokers each year. How we test.
Founded in 2006, AvaTrade has offices in 11 countries and provides multiple trading platforms for web, desktop, and mobile devices, offering spot forex and forex options and CFDs on multiple asset classes, including cryptocurrencies.
AvaTrade is regulated in major regulatory hubs across the globe. AvaTrade's headquarters is in Ireland where its regulator is the Central Bank of Ireland and is a member of the Investor Compensation Company DAC (ICCL) which provides eligible clients up to EUR 20000 of maximum reimbursement in the extraordinary event of their broker's insolvency.
AvaTrade provides multiple platforms for automated and social copy trading. It also offers forex options, in addition to spot CFDs (cryptocurrency included) across multiple markets via its entities regulated in major and emerging financial hubs.
- Regulated in the EU, Japan, Australia, BVI, and South Africa.
- Provides off-exchange forex options on 44 currency pairs.
- Supports cryptocurrency CFD trading on 14 crypto pairs.
- Offers multiple platforms including a social copy-trading platform.
- Beyond AutoChartist and SharpTrader, the range of research content and forex news is limited.
- AvaTradeGo Mobile app is not compatible with most phones; use the MT4 app instead.
- High Bonuses, Now with Extra-Low Spreads! Visit Site
Is AvaTrade Safe?
AvaTrade is considered average-risk, with an overall Trust Score of 82 out of 99. AvaTrade is not publicly traded and does not operate a bank. AvaTrade is authorised by two tier-1 regulators (high trust), one tier-2 regulator (average trust), and two tier-3 regulators (low trust). AvaTrade is authorised by the following tier-1 regulators: Australian Securities & Investment Commission (ASIC) and the Japanese Financial Services Authority (JFSA). Learn more about Trust Score.
|Publicly Traded (Listed)||No|
Commissions & Fees
Overall, AvaTrade’s spreads are not its most competitive feature, as the average spreads on its variable pricing are higher than those of its top competitors.
- With variable pricing, AvaTrade offers typical floating spreads of 1.3 pips (median value derived from spreads during trading hours – 7:00-18:00 GMT – over prior quarter).
- Compared to our 2018 review, the broker’s spreads have slightly worsened.
- The trading costs for forex at AvaTrade consist of floating (variable) spreads, as the broker discontinued its fixed spread offering in 2018.
|Minimum Initial Deposit||$100.00|
|Average Spread EUR/USD - Standard||1.30|
|All-in Cost EUR/USD - Active||N/A|
|Active Trader or VIP Discounts||Yes|
Platforms & Tools
AvaTrade offers a proprietary platform and multiple third-party trading platforms such as ZuluTrade, DupliTrade, as well as the popular MetaTrader 4 (MT4) web and desktop platform, and in select locations the MetaTrader 5 (MT5) platform from MetaQuotes Software Corporation.
- The ZuluTrade and Tradency platforms are primarily for social copy trading.
- The newest addition to the broker's offering is its AvaTrade web platform which is lightweight and easy to use with basic functionality.
- A major change for the broker in 2017 was the shift away from the AvaTraderAct desktop, which was discontinued in 2018, making the firm primarily an MT4-broker, although multiple social copy-trading platforms help elevate its offering.
- The AvaTrade web platform has limited charting capabilities with just a few functions available.
- Best Forex Trading Platforms 2019
- Best FX Brokers for Copy Trading 2019
- Best MetaTrader Brokers 2019
|Virtual Trading (Demo)||Yes|
|Desktop Platform (Windows)||Yes|
|Social Trading / Copy-Trading||Yes|
|MetaTrader 4 (MT4)||Yes|
|MetaTrader 5 (MT5)||Yes|
|Charting - Indicators / Studies (Total)||51|
|Charting - Drawing Tools (Total)||31|
|Charting - Trade From Chart||Yes|
|Watchlists - Total Fields||7|
|Order Type - Trailing Stop||Yes|
To score Customer Service, ForexBrokers.com partnered with customer experience research group Customerwise to conduct phone tests from locations throughout the UK. For our 2019 Review, 229 customer service tests were conducted over six weeks.
- Average Connection Time: >5 minutes
- Average Net Promoter Score: 1 / 10
- Average Professionalism Score: 0 / 10
- Overall Score: 0.8 / 10
- Ranking: 23rd (23 brokers)
- View Infographic
AvaTrader has an okay balance of research solutions across multiple channels, helping to round out its offering in this category.
- AvaTrade combines in-house research tools and resources with content from third parties. On SharpTrader, users can find daily and weekly technical and fundamental analysis articles published daily from a team of analysts, along with integrated tools from external providers.
- For finding trading opportunities, AvaTrade offers several social copy-trading platforms, including ZuluTrade, in addition to Dupli Trade and the Signals market on MT4.
- AvaTrade also offers AutoChartist – a popular set of pattern-recognition tools for technical and fundamental analysis for live account holders who deposit at least $500.
- There is barely any research content or forex news on the broker's website
- Over seven months since the last market video update and blog post on SharpTrader and much of the rest of its content is outdated.
|Daily Market Commentary||Yes|
|Forex News (Top-Tier Sources)||No|
|Trading Central (Recognia)||No|
|Social Trading / Copy-Trading||Yes|
|Social Sentiment - Currency Pairs||No|
For traders encountering any challenges with AvaTradeGO, the broker’s MT4 mobile app remains a viable alternative.
- AvaTrade offers multiple third-party trading platforms for mobile, including the popular MetaTrader 4 (MT4) mobile app from MetaQuotes Software Corporation, as well as the AvaTradeGO mobile app that syncs with MT4.
- For this review, I focused on using the AvaTradeGO mobile app for Android. Unfortunately, I was unable to run the AvaTradeGO mobile app as it was not compatible with any of my mobile devices.
Mobile Apps Comparison
|Apple iOS App||Yes|
|Trading - Forex||Yes|
|Trading - CFDs||Yes|
|Alerts - Basic Fields||Yes|
|Watch List Syncing||No|
|Charting - Indicators / Studies||30|
|Charting - Draw Trend Lines||Yes|
|Charting - Trend Lines Moveable||Yes|
|Charting - Multiple Time Frames||Yes|
|Charting - Drawings Autosave||No|
Offering of Investments
The following table summarizes the different investment products available to AvaTrade clients.
|Forex: Spot Trading||Yes|
|Currency Pairs (Total Forex pairs)||60|
|CFDs - Total Offered||221|
|Cryptocurrency traded as actual||No|
|Cryptocurrency traded as CFD||Yes|
AvaTrade offers traders multiple platforms through its regulated brands, providing clients with a wide range of options for using trading tools across a good range of markets, including spot forex on 60 currency pairs and 44 currency pairs for forex options trading.
2019 Review Methodology
For our 2019 Forex Broker Review we assessed, rated, and ranked 28 international forex brokers over a six month time period. Each broker was graded on 81 different variables and, in total, over 60,000 words of research were produced.
While encouraged, broker participation was optional. Each broker had the opportunity to complete an in-depth data profile and provide executive time (live in person or over the web) for an annual update meeting.
All data submitted by brokers is hand-checked for accuracy. Ultimately, our rigorous data validation process yields an error rate of less than .1% each year, providing site visitors quality data they can trust. Learn more about how we test.
Forex Risk Disclaimer
"There is a very high degree of risk involved in trading securities. With respect to margin-based foreign exchange trading, off-exchange derivatives, and cryptocurrencies, there is considerable exposure to risk, including but not limited to, leverage, creditworthiness, limited regulatory protection and market volatility that may substantially affect the price, or liquidity of a currency or related instrument. It should not be assumed that the methods, techniques, or indicators presented in these products will be profitable, or that they will not result in losses." Learn more.
About the author: Steven Hatzakis Steven Hatzakis is the Global Director of Research for ForexBrokers.com. Steven previously served as an Editor for Finance Magnates, where he authored over 1,000 published articles about the online finance industry. Steven is an active fintech and crypto industry researcher and advises blockchain companies at the board level. Over the past 20 years, Steven has held numerous positions within the international forex markets, from writing to consulting to serving as a registered commodity futures representative.